30+ Day Racial Equity Indigenous Peoples Challenge
October 15th – day 15
Today is Day 15. Here are the reading, watching and listening material for the challenge. Remember you can choose 1 learning experience, or all. It is entirely up to you.
READ: Indigenous Motherhood, Chief Lady Bird
WATCH: In The White Man’s Image PBS documentary about the Native American boarding school movement designed to “kill the Indian and save the man.” (56 minutes)
LISTEN: Dakota Access Pipeline Protesters: ‘The World Needed To See What Was Going On’ – Native Americans protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline broadcast their own story live online to show the world “the truth” about the controversial construction project. (3 minutes)
ACT: Research an indigenous issue in your area, join it, and/or take action:
- Removing monuments or placing new monuments/placards nearby
- Not Your Mascot campaign (writing letters to public officials)
- Current local repatriation requests
- Local tribal, state, federal recognition requests
- Environmental racism/damage
- Controversies around building a casino
- Water/hunting/fishing rights (usually related to treaties, access to pathways)
- Current Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) cases
Here is the link for a daily chart and your private reflections. Just download it to your computer and access it at your leisure.
Thank you for joining us in our racial equity journey.
Indigenous Peoples Education Committee.